Spare this new father one more Sunday Edition photo gallery. It’s been quite the week, as any first-time parent has experienced. It’s exciting to head back to work tomorrow, but those big eyes are sure to lure me back home.
Shawn Blanc — who is back to writing on his personal site (with a new design!) — has shared this video of a man ironing a shirt a few times, and watching it never gets old. This showcases a master at his craft.
This .gif does the same kind of thing for me:
I’m trying to figure out how many days it took this lady to perfect this trick.
It was quite the week in the stock market. I’m not one for investing to make a quick buck — the Warren Buffett advice to buy index ETFs is more to my liking.
I can’t remember where I found this nugget (it might have been in this film), but it’s quite powerful:
The value of $1, compounded annually for 40 years at 7.5% per year, is $18. That means every iPad purchased is actually worth $9,022 over a 40-year time frame.
That’s kind of mind-blowing, if you think about it.
If you’re a Canadian self-directed investor looking to guide your own retirement building, check out this great link from Million Dollar Journey. I own shares in one of the ETFs mentioned on the list, and I can’t help but be impressed by the slow, steady growth this type of investment has come to be known for.
(Ways not to follow up saving money, in three, two, one...)
I have some serious gear lust going on right now. The list is topped by a new display of some sort and is closely followed by the Sony a7r III, the Sony 85mm f/1.4 GM lens, and the Sony 50mm f/1.4 lens. If you’re looking for a few non-tech/non-photography related doodads, here are a few that caught my eye this week as well:
1Password’s new Chrome Extension — pegged “1Password X” — is just what the doctor ordered. It basically takes your 1Password account and bakes all your credentials into every site, all protected behind your fingerprint on a Mac or your master password. Here’s a blog post outlining the new feature:
- 1Password X: A look at the future of 1Password in the browser — AgileBits
But more importantly, 1Password X is one of those apps bridging the gap between the Mac and the rest of the computing world. I use a PC at the office — a new Lenovo ThinkPad is incoming — and between installing iCloud Drive right into Windows Explorer and having 1Password X baked into Chrome, the seamlessness of transferring from Mac to PC is getting easier by the day. If Things was available as a web app or as a PC app of some sort, I’d almost be able to leave this MacBook Pro behind.
Enough of my blabbing. Grab some coffee and enjoy the reads and photos.
- Jason M. Peterson — 500px
- Sony a7r Mark III Review — DPReview
- A Chess Novice Challenged Magnus Carlsen. He Had One Month to Train. — The Wall Street Journal
- Apple iPad Pro 10.5-Inch Longterm Review — Gear Patrol
- The Happy Hacking Professional 2 — Relativity Transit
- Why Most People Will Never Be Successful — Benjamin P. Hardy
- The Difference Between Professionals and Amateurs — James Clear
- The Life-Changing Magic Of Taking Long Walks — Thought Catalog
- Lightning Everything — Initial Charge
- The Perfect Apple Workstation, Four Ways — Gear Patrol
- The Power of RAW on iPhone, Part 1: Shooting RAW — Halide
Happy Sunday. I wish you all the best in the week ahead.
(Also, only 11 more days until The Last Jedi. I only saw a few of these TV spots this week.)